That might be a nook under the stairs or a bedroom closet. If you have the extra room, it can be nice to build a bench for additional seating beside your desk. Of course, space may be an issue, and you may have to settle for something smaller or more austere than you would otherwise prefer. If you have a repurposed coat closet, you may simply not have room for the same type of rolling office chair that would fit into a huge walk-in closet. If your closet is shallower, use shorter slides and adjust these dimensions to match. Make sure your drawers fit perfectly by building the drawer frame first.
- Measure out the counter space you can spare to use as a desk and add the items that have to be close at hand, even if that’s just your laptop and a printer in the corner.
- Schnell decided she wanted to keep the original closet shelf in case the family ever sold their home and could easily convert it back to a closet.
- Would it be better if you take these out and add new shelves to the small area?
- It’s hard to change things in small spaces, so do your best to get everything in correctly the first time.
- In addition to those changes, we also decided to make our paneling taller than 48″ off the base boards.
If you’re using your preexisting wall color, this will mainly just be touching up where you filled in the holes. If you’re painting with a completely different wall color, you will want to measure off and just paint the top portion of your closet with the new lighter color. If you prefer to keep things streamlined and walls minimal, move in a desk that boasts plenty of storage for files, tools, and electronics. You can hide away all your clutter in roomy drawers when you’re off the clock and not have to worry about sacrificing an ounce of style. The thought of working from the inside of a closet can feel claustrophobic, uninviting, and honestly, a little unrealistic. But the truth is, an productive workspace really comes down to the aesthetics.
Closet Office Ideas for Seating
Just because your office is in a closet doesn’t mean you have to skimp on stylish touches like sconces, shiplap, and an area rug. In fact, blogger Ashley Smith was able to incorporate all three of these elements and tucked away a filing cabinet, because #practicality. Your home office is bound to have clutter all around and this is why you need to be extra diligent when it comes to purging the space of clutter.
- In fact, turning a master bedroom or guest-room closet into a home office is an ideal workspace solution for smaller homes and apartments.
- F you need help designing your cloffice, including shelving and storage space, consider enlisting the help of a professional closet designer.
- Cloffice doors are often a lifestyle decision, depending on your need for privacy—or to keep workspace and living arrangements separate.
- This hides the pocket hole attachments and gives the shelf that true floating look.
- Measure the distance from the bottom of the horizontal boards and the top of the desk to get the length of the top pieces.
- You might consider closed storage if you have a lot of stuff — just hide it behind cabinet doors.
- Before I share what’s below my desk, I’d like to share what is on the shelves on the wall just outside the space.
In fact, turning a master bedroom or guest-room closet into a home office is an ideal workspace solution for smaller homes and apartments. In addition to how we installed the DIY board & batten and floating desk, I wanted to share some of the details and life hacks we used to make this space pretty and functional. At Meadowlark, we have amazing designers that can do amazing things to your home, but for many folks, you don’t need a major overhaul…you just need a few tweaks. Now that we are at home trying to manage work, kids and just day-to-day living – finding ways to help organize the space in your homes can be helpful. Here is a relatively easy (and fun!) DIY project you can do to a closet to make it the perfect office space.
My student needs a workspace of their own
You might consider closed storage if you have a lot of stuff — just hide it behind cabinet doors. The right lighting is a key factor for productivity. If you’re not keen on rewiring the inside of the closet, puck lights would be a good option. Some people embrace convert closet to office the lack of light and create a more intimate atmosphere by adding dark colours, which also adds cosiness to the space. After a basic cloffice setup is done, it’s time to take a look at 21 practical ways you can enhance your workspace and make it personal.
It may be a bedroom closet, or some sort of nook under the stairs, or perhaps even a hidden office corner in the kitchen. The thing is, in order for you to be effective in your future closet office, it needs to be a spot that would inspire you to be effective and productive at work. Aside from the measurements, another important thing to consider for your closet office is the actual location. In order for you to work productively, you need to be slightly away from the rest of the hustle and bustle of the house. If you believe you are a candidate for a walk-in closet office space, give My Custom Closet a call to schedule your free consultation. Walk-in closets may bolster images of success and comfort, but having all of that stuff around can take away from creating a haven in your home. If you have too much storage space, you might fill it with more clutter, but if you don’t have enough, you may not have room for a growing family.